Friday, August 28, 2009

Personal Assignment

As many of you know, my mother in law (Tammi's mom) is in the final days of her battle with cancer.

A few days ago I felt compelled to document the effects of his horrific disease and the toll it takes, not only on its victim, but also that of their loved ones.

I drove Tammi to her sister's house where my mother in law is living her final days on earth. I felt a little funny photographing her but as she was surrounded buy her loved ones, the uneasiness soon faded. As mom (Diane) was being comforted and touched and kissed by her daughters, I knew somehow in some strange way, that what I was doing would help my family eventually get through the grieving process.

I captured some more images this morning. Oddly enough for me, I hadn't looked at any of them until today. I usually scroll through the images on the back of my camera right after I'm done photographing. I didn't this time. Why? I don't know.

What is to become of these images? I don't know that either. Part of me wants to post them and make them public. Part of me wants them to remain private. -The Jury is still out.

I can say this. I think there are some powerful images in there and maybe... just maybe, I have come close to making a difference in this world using the gift I have been given.

~Perhaps I have created a living legacy.

Please leave Tammi (Gabrielle) your thoughts on her Facebook page. I'm sure she will love to hear from you.

No comments: